Thursday, April 16, 2009

Happy Accidents- A Case for lo-fi analog tools


I love the happy accidents associated with lo-fi equipment and the image above is a perfect example of the possibilities of error.
This being said, I have been struggling with a good amount of ambivalence related to photographic technology over the last week or so. I have been shooting a bit with a digital slr and I must say I have been enjoying the ease of operation and flexibility. While I have been generally happy with the results; the images appear rather sterile for my liking. At the same time, I have also been frustrated by the limitations of my diana camera for surf photography as I can not really capture surfing, only the subtle vibe associated with the pursuit. While this is important documentation to me, it does seems somewhat limited in its scope of vision. It's obvious that direct confrontion of my underlying irrational cognition's related to "all or nothing reasoning" must commence. Why must it all be lo-fi or all digital?? After all there are no real rules!!! Solution: pack multiple cameras and try to keep the spirit of flow and mindfulness.

3 comments:

blandoland said...

check out the ricoh gr 2 digital camera or the the canon g10 if you don't want to mess around with slr's and have some control.

glider said...

thanks- i dont mind messing with slr and if i am gonna shoot digital i might as well have all the options available- thanks though

Maggie said...

"sterile" --that's a great word for it.