Sunday, December 28, 2008

s-decks on ice

I took this shot after a really fun but chilly hull session. It was shot using an old Kodak brownie hawkeye camera. The lens quality is unique in that the resulting images have a somewhat subtle tonal range.

While displacement hull surfboards on the Northeast coast seem to get a bad rap; I never seem to leave the beach after a hull-session without a smile on my face. This can also be said for a few of my surfing friends who are obsessed with the design. I am continually amazed at how fast these boards are and how in-sync the boards are with the wave. This combination of speed and synchronicity make for a highly engaged surfing experience. People who get the hull vibe, get addicted quick!

Ever since I have gotten into the design, I have been somewhat obsessed with learning more about the evolution of the design and people's overall impressions of the design. I want to thank Brian Hilbers and Greg Liddle for being so patient in answering my emails containing questions regarding all things hull. I also appreciate all the info KP and the sways "post hull pics" thread has provided me. There stoke is seriously contagious.

4 comments:

unidentified said...

great pic and bitchen blog.
big fan of the hulling myself.
i don't think i'd be having nearly as much fun on anything else especially
when things are slow and mushy.
there's not a better board for malibu
in my op.

Robert Kulisek said...

soo sick. love what you're doin

glider said...

thanks for the kind words!!

jd said...

enjoying your blog since i came across the quiver post. good to see the liddle went to someone really enjoying it. that was my original custom a while back. nice to see it again in a different "light" - great shots!